Friday, November 10, 2017

Simply Joyful

As my time in Kenya begins to come to a close (about 30 days left!), I’ve been reflecting a lot on my lifestyle here. When I take a step back and examine how I’m living here, I am amazed at myself! Simplicity is the rule, not an option, but it is beautiful.

Some simple aspects of my life:
Asked my students to smile...haha
-- breakfast is always toast and tea, but on Thursdays & Sundays we also have eggs
-- there is no wifi in the sisters house, so I check the Internet for about 45 minutes every other day which means: no videochats, no Netflix, no YouTube, no FB creeping (a serious sacrifice)
-- for the most part, my time is spent in our small compound and the parish next door
-- I spend my evenings alone, re-watching the same movies over and over again on my laptop
-- every meal is planned and prepared for me--we eat a lot of rice, cabbage and greens
-- I go to the supermarket about every 3 weeks (and yes, I always buy chocolate)
-- in order to communicate on my phone, I buy credit in 50 cent increments (it costs about 30 cents for 1 week of texting and 4 cents for every minute of talking)
-- I have no idea what is popular or trending back home
-- my wardrobe is about 1/8 of what I own

Now, I don’t want you to think that this is a laundry list of complaints. It is quite the opposite. This is a list of ways I have been stretched! These are some of the ways I’ve been challenged to live in solidarity with the people around me. In this relative poverty of mine, I have come face to face with my own materialism, dependence on technology, wanderlust, retail therapy, need for independence and an intense craving for food.
Our community (and volunteer Simone)

At first, I was shocked by these discoveries: I had no idea all these issues lingered underneath the surface.  The reality of living in Kenya and living in community with sisters has effectively revealed the effects of living a highly privileged life. I have never been left wanting for the basics of life, but even the luxuries of life have always been within my reach. Sometimes, I find it difficult to acknowledge my own giftedness in the face of the poverty around me. Not only am I materially blessed, but I am rich in relationships, opportunities and life experiences.

All of these gifts are a blessing from God, but how many times have I been ungrateful and asked: Why not me??

1. I’ve learned to be grateful. As I’ve mentioned, being stripped of so much makes me realize just how wonderful my life is! (George Bailey would definitely agree…)
2. I’ve learned to be generous. One of my favorite things about Kenyan culture is their hospitality and generosity. They welcome guests readily into their homes, sharing what they have. The children in Dago especially have taught me this lesson. Even the littlest ones will accept a sweet, then bite it in half to share with their tiny friend. Although many children in this area know real hunger, they have such a spirit of generosity.
Performing with some of my girls
3. I’ve learned that God provides. At first, my time in Kenya was very difficult, mainly due to the cut off from people back home. Limited internet left me feeling lonely and stranded in an unknown world, but God readily blessed me for my sacrifice. In every place I’ve lived in Kenya (about four different communities), He has provided new friends to laugh with and be myself around. Despite cultural differences, He has sent me friends who just get me!
4. I’ve learned to celebrate the little things.  When you eat fruit for dessert every day, imagine how exciting it is when we get to have sodas because visitors come! Back home, whenever I craved something, I could just go to buy it, at any moment. Instant satisfaction is the status quo of life in the US, but when you live in simplicity, each little gift is like a feast.
5. I’ve learned that I can adapt.  My situation seems very difficult from the outside looking in, but when you live day to day, you find the motivation necessary to thrive. I discovered an inner strength in me that I never knew existed. When something new came to challenge me (like water shortages), I realized life was still good. The source of my strength isn’t truly mine, but a grace from God. Evening prayer, the rosary and Mass has been the daily spring of goodness that fuels me for another day. 
Enjoying my time with the junior youth group

Now please, don’t think I’m ‘cured’ of materialism or that I will become a hermit after this experience. I’m still me and so I still want to eat my weight at a Chinese buffet or buy a cute dress for no reason or veg out on a rainy day watching Netflix till I’m tired of doing nothing…but I know these things ultimately don’t bring joy. They are fleeting moments of happiness; they don’t satisfy.  Meaningful work, genuine relationships, self betterment, growing in understanding of human nature…these are some of the things that enrich our time on Earth. I know that being stripped of many luxuries has allowed me to see more clearly and I’m eternally grateful for this lesson.


“Don’t collect of yourselves treasures on earth where moths and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But collect for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves don’t break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
Matthew 6:19-21



1 comment: