Monday, February 13, 2017

Moving On Up

I had originally been placed at the Provincial House in Nairobi, with the hopes that I would be the communications expert for their new Development Office.  Although, I technically have a degree in Communications, it is neither my expertise nor my passion, so I asked to move. Within a few days, a place was found for me in Embu, where the Salesian sisters run a secondary school (high school). I looked forward to going where my talents would be better utilized. Sr. Geraldine, the superior in Embu, has planned for me to help in their youth ministry!

view from my porch
Therefore, Within two days of arriving at the Provincial House, I knew I was leaving. However, there was a bed shortage at Embu, so I stayed in Nairobi for two weeks. In that time, I helped a sister from Togo learn English, helped a sister from the Congo with a group paper, played with the kids at the boarding house on the weekends, helped the Spanish volunteers with the development office and did a lot of dishes. Although I loved the sisters there, I felt restless; I was still in transition.

Two days ago, I got in the Land Rover to move to Embu, a 2.5 hour ride north of Nairobi. The school here has about 270 girls, ages 13-17. The community has 5 sisters and a German couple, volunteering until April. Out here, we are literally in the country. They have goats, cows, large gardens and so much beautiful vegetation.


These beautiful flowers are everywhere, in red, purple, and white!


My new apartment in Embu. 


Unfortunately, my time in Embu has been tainted by sickness, but I was feeling better today. So, when the German couple, Alwine & Rainer, asked me to join them for a walk, I eagerly accepted. Although the sisters live about a 20 minute drive from Embu, there are houses here and there and a couple shops around. We walked on dusty red dirt roads, zig-zagging to hit the shade. In the shade, the heat is bearable, but the sun beats down with such ferocity!

Way off in the distance is Mt. Kenya. 
I know you can't see it, but trust me :)
We walked for about an hour to a Canan Garden Resort. On their recommendation, we ordered fresh mango juice (which was a bit cold!) and water. At this point, I was parched and chugged it all down.  I was so happy!

Then, we visited some of their friends who live in the country. We travelled down twisting, dusty roads before arriving. We met the couple, two of their kids, a great-grandmother (who was either 102 or 120..they couldn't decide), and a bunch of other relatives that live next to them. Sitting in the shade of a tree, we sipped on orange drink and talked about little things. They were very hospitable. As we sat there, their chickens and rooster walked around, clucking. Their yard opens up to a river (where there are monkeys!). It was a very pleasant time, since the conversation was friendly and the breeze was refreshing.

I am very thankful for my first 'real' adventure into Kenya!

1 comment:

  1. So cool reading of your adventures and seeing the gorgeous Kenyan countryside and the people. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete