Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Adventure is the Name of the Game

If this picture doesn't spell 'adventure,' I'm not sure what does!
This past week, while the girls went on midterm break, I had the opportunity to head up north to the desert with Alwine and Rainer. I was excited to see even more of Kenya (although it is disputed if it is actually Kenya past Marsabit) and experience a new culture.

Jumping for joy on the sand dune!
We set off last Monday with a rough idea of what would unfold. But this wasn't an ordinary trip--it was divinely appointed. God perfectly planned our trip, without worrying us about the details. The night we arrived in Karare, the sisters there told us that the private driver would be heading to North Horr the next day and we should go with him. So we had only a quick stop over in the semi-arid desert before heading back to the 'road' to head up to North Horr. Alwine and I had a fun little game called "adventure." Whenever something was uncomfortable: we said adventure. New and exciting: adventure. Total surprise: adventure. Basically, anything is an adventure when you're putting your vacation in God's hands.

Watching some women build a new manyata.
Much of the first day and a half in the desert was adventure, without the fun. It was hot and windy and sunny and dusty. At first, there wasn't much to do. We spent the first day sitting around, trying to figure out how to keep our hair from blowing everywhere. By Wednesday night, we were able to go to the swimming pool after Mass. As I swam around, feeling refreshed by the cool water and watching the stars pop out of the vast desert sky, a great peace entered me.

From that moment on, my time in the desert was wonderful. Sure there were more unpleasant 'adventures' (like a scorpion in my room), but I felt so relaxed. Much of this was due to the company. Sr. Anisia and Sr. Jackie are wonderful--they laugh easily, love deeply and know how to make others feel welcome. I also made friends with Philipo (artist) and Dan (dj, driver, everything else) who work for the fathers there. We played music, hung out, discussed culture and just had fun together. The Gabra tribe that lives there is still very vibrant. Their dress, homes, music, and customs are largely pre-westernization. Although they were shy of us wazungu (foreigners), they were very friendly.

This will not be a trip I am likely to forget soon! Based on the joy and peace I experienced up there, I know God had it planned for me. We ended up staying 5 days in North Horr, something that made Alwine and I smile as we simultaneously said, "adventure."
Embu is in the middle of the map, Karare is just below Marsabit
and North Horr is in between Marsabit and Lodwar.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the map, Google only got me as far as Tanzania, and then left me stranded! I am working my way to Horr by camel, see you soon!

    ReplyDelete