Saturday, July 29, 2017

The Secret to Joy

Just the sweetest girls <3
Although my adventure has moved on from Embu, my heart in some ways is still at Don Bosco Girls Secondary School. The friendships I made there warm my heart with love & gratitude. It was a tough decision to change communities, but I desired more fulfilling work that wasn't available in my role in Embu. I am hopeful that my year of service will continue to be more stretching & wonderful.

Last pile of ironing!!
However, during my time in Embu, I learned a lot. The majority of my work was spent in administrative tasks, library monitoring, sewing on buttons and ironing uniforms. My time was largely spent in these repetitive and boring activities. Since it is a boarding school, the students have very little free time in their timetables, but I made the most of each opportunity by attending Mass, rosary, recreation, cleaning & clubs time.

BUT despite the monotony, there was a distinct reason I was there. It's difficult to understand, even more difficult to explain, but work was NOT the reason moved to Kenya. If I wasn't here, someone would still sew buttons on the school uniforms and someone else would re-organize the school library. It's hard to admit this, but my move half-way across the world to be a missionary isn't about work. My work is the means to my true purpose: love.

This class had a surprise good-bye song & speech for me.
So, instead of feeling disappointed and thinking about what I could be doing, I began to focus on what I could do. Being a volunteer in Kenya is the opportunity to share the Gospel message of love and mercy with so many new people! With this change in perspective, I found much more joy in my work. Instead of doing the work because I was told, I did it gladly because it allowed me to be in this wonderful country.  As I grew in friendship with the teachers, students, workers and sisters, I was able to share more of my life, which  I pray points back to Christ.

My last day in Embu the girls mobbed around me,
trying to show how much love they have to give :)


Beyond what I did, I was given an opportunity to be loved...almost unconditionally by the students. They showered me with love, hugs, letters & even little gifts as I prepared to leave. If there is anything I was able to show them, it was nothing compared to what they gave me: a chance to experience the love of Christ.

This lesson is true for you too! Whether you are working in a big office or work from home or serve the Lord as a missionary, we all have the same mission of love. You don't have to move to Africa to love radically. That can be done by simply striving to see Jesus in the people that cross your path. No work is insignificant in the Kingdom of God--it is our attitude that diminishes work to a mere task. Our perspective on the work in front of us makes all the difference. It is the constant decision to put aside our self-imposed limitations to see the chance to love those around us.

"I slept and I dreamed that life is all joy. I woke and I saw that life is all service. I served and I saw that service is joy."
Kahlil Gibran

No comments:

Post a Comment