Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Long Road

I expected my journey to Kenya to be long--it consisted of a 13 hour flight to Qatar, a 10 hr lay over and a 5 hour flight to Nairobi--and I was right. The worst part was sitting around an airport for that long by myself. I would find a place to sit, nod off, check my watch and be amazed that barely any time had passed. Then, I'd get up, take a lap around the airport again and find another place to fall asleep. The word "ugh" accurately describes how I was feeling.

But I forgot how God is always there, even when I'm exhausted and alone (I would argue that He's there even more during those times).
Here's my list of surprise blessings in the midst of the long road:
  • During my flight over the ocean, I had an empty seat next to me which meant I could actually stretch out #longlegs
  • Qatar Airways has great service and delicious food; their vegetarian option was always Indian :)
  • I finally got to watch Inside Out on the plane (something I've been meaning to do for forever)
  • I made a friend!! During my vigil in Doha, I met a girl from Boston who was traveling alone as well. She was heading to Nepal to help in a school for a semester. It was so Providential to meet her and reassure each other that we could do it!
  • I had a window seat for the trip to Nairobi==sunrise pics and better napping
  • I met the sister who was picking me up as soon as I left the airport in Nairobi. My greatest anxiety of being left at the airport without a phone never happened!
These are just a few of the things Jesus did for me on my first solo overseas trip. And the blessings didn't stop when I arrived in Nairobi. The place I am staying is beautiful: the weather is what I would literally describe as 'perfect', I have my own little room, there are wonderful flowers and trees growing in our compound and the sisters here are so welcoming! The community here in Hurlingham is very diverse; they hail from Kenya, Rwanda, Togo, Italy, Spain, Lesotho and the Philippines. From the moment I arrived  here, I was impressed by their hospitality and joyful energy.

I'm excited to see what happens next!
Not sure what this giant bear means, but everyone was taking pictures of it...#dohaairport #sleepover

I happened to wake up at the perfect moment to see the sun rising over the Indian Ocean on my way to Nairobi.

First view of Kenya!!!

The view from my window in Hurlingham. Such a peaceful, beautiful place.

2 comments:

  1. The teddy bear means you are loved and being held... up in prayer and by our Holy Mother during this new journey. Love you Megan!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha that makes sense! thanks Nhora! love you too :)

      Delete